Thursday, April 10, 2014

Next up: Belize

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect in Belize. We had heard some less-than-stellar things about Belize City, so we booked an excursion here since I wasn't really sure what to do. 

We started out with a boat trip up the Old Belize River. I am really hoping that our camera turns up because I don't have any pictures of Belize except on the camera, and we saw lots of animals that we don't usually get to see: manatees, huge iguanas, a baby crocodile, and dolphins! The dolphin(s?) we're jumping alongside our boat and doing tricks. I have never before seen a dolphin that close up. It was so cool, and the boys LOVED it! Since we were on a small boat, we were all able to see it very clearly.

After the boat ride, we went to Bacaab Eco Park for lunch. We decided to go on the self-guided herbal trail (which I'm pretty sure is where I acquired an abundance of bug bites!). Afterwards the boys dipped their feet in the pool to cool off, and then we took off for Altun Ha (Mayan Ruins). 

I didn't know if the kids would enjoy the ruins or not, but they were really into it! We got to climb the biggest one and look out over the rest which was really cool. And I REALLY hope I get my camera back because all of our Belize pictures are on it. No cell phone pics at all. If NCL ever comes through with the camera, I'll be updating this post with lots of pictures of the ruins, dolphins, etc. But for now, this is all I have:
You can see on the map where the cruise ships stop, and then we were tendered in. We took a boat just a bit north and then onto the Belize River. I think we went about 17 miles up the river, and then took a bus to Altun Ha after lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment