Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Overnight Oatmeal

The boys L-O-V-E oatmeal.  It is the most requested breakfast in our house, hands down.  I got a really good deal on some steel cut oats a while ago so between that and the 25 lb bag of rolled oats from WinCo, we're pretty stocked up. 

About a year ago, I decided to try to figure out a way to cook the steel cut oats in the crockpot.  They take a long time to cook, but the boys think they're pretty yummy (I am not really an oatmeal fan), so I figured it was worth a shot.  Let it be known that I am NOT a morning person, so overnight oatmeal was kind of a necessity! 

Overnight Oatmeal
2 c. steel cut oats (you can also use any other whole grain...I frequently do 1 c oats along with 1 c of rice, barley, or some other combination that equals 2 c total)
8 c. water
cinnamon
honey or some other sweetener (obviously optional, but my kids love honey)
I've also added mashed up bananas, applesauce, craisins/raisins/dried fruit, etc. but plain is their favorite because then they add insane amounts of frozen blueberries to it in the morning.

First, grease your crockpot.  It can get a little messy and stuck on around the edges.  Mix all the ingredients.  Cook on low 8 hours.  That's it!  Wake up to already-cooked-breakfast, and blindly scoop it into the kids' bowls while making a nice cup of green tea.  (Archer ate 4 bowls, Preston ate 3 bowls, and Bryton ate 2 bowls of oatmeal/rice with blueberries this morning.  I'm pretty sure that is their favorite combination!)

Now as soon as I finish cleaning up the kitchen we are headed OUTSIDE to work in the garden and clean up from the final phase of the backyard project that is almost done!  The weather forecast for today?!  72 degrees and SUNNY!

No comments:

Post a Comment