Friday, May 6, 2011

Raw Sprouted Hummus

We eat a TON of lentils around here.  They are so yummy, good for you...and you can't beat the price.  (I love WinCo bulk food section!)  I started sprouting a bunch of lentils earlier this week (we're having some for dinner tonight) but I sprouted more than we need for just one meal.  We usually just eat them plain, on salads, sandwiches, etc., but this afternoon I made a yummy hummus out of them!  I'm sure this would work just as well with any other sprouted legume, but since I have a gigantic colander of lentil sprouts sitting on my counter, obviously that's what I used. 

3 c. sprouted lentils
2 cloves garlic
1/4 large onion (or so...I just had part of an onion sitting in the fridge and used it...I think more onion would be better but was too lazy to cut up another one!)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lemon, juiced
Fresh parsley (just threw this in because I have an abundance of parsley, I'm not sure it really added anything to it)
1-1.5 tsp cumin
salt & pepper to taste...I think I probably used about 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
olive oil for blending

Toss everything but olive oil in blender (vita-mix!).  Turn it on low speed and add olive oil until it blends freely.  I HATE using the plunger on the vita-mix so I always do everything possible to avoid it.  You could definitely cut down on the olive oil and use a plunger though. 

Yum! 

I have been really focusing on eating more raw foods lately, but I get kind of sick of the standard green smoothie & salad rut that I seem to fall into.  I have also been experimenting with raw (blended) soups, but I don't think the weather is nice enough yet for me to truly enjoy a soup that isn't hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment