Saturday, January 1, 2011

5 years ago...

We became parents to one sweet, chunky, much-anticipated (as in, 15 days past his due date) little boy.

I had tried everything to get labor to start - acupuncture, castor oil, spicy food, tons of walking...you name it, I tried it. As illogical as it sounds, every day I became less convinced that I would go into labor, and more convinced that I would be pregnant forever (have you seen those shows on Discovery channel???). Finally, finally...labor started in the early mornings hours of the 31st, continued all day, and we brought in 2006 in the birth center while I was in labor and fireworks were being set off outside. Of course, when I went into labor at about 3:00 am, I figured we'd have a 2005 baby, but Preston had other ideas. At 9:21 am on January 1st our "little" bundle was born, all 9 lbs 14 oz of him.


He was such an angelic little baby, even as a newborn. He hardly cried, slept amazingly well, and basically was just an easy-going kid. He is mostly like that now, with some 5 year old independence being asserted (which I'm thankful for - most of the time). He made it easy to forget the insanely long labor, except for the part where I vividly remember thinking "oh so THIS is why women go to the hospital and get epidurals!"

It is hard to believe it's been 5 years, but at the same time, it seems like he has been in our lives forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment