Friday, January 21, 2011

DIY Cheez-It's!

The boys are driving me just a little bit crazy today (it's been a long week), so I decided to attempt something that has been on my to-do list for far too long: cheese crackers!

At the grocery store the other day, John tried to toss a box of Cheez-It's in the cart. Um, no thanks. Processed cheese product? Blech. (In all fairness to Cheez-It's, I don't even really know what's in them because we don't buy them...) I told John that I had found a recipe a while ago for goldfish crackers, and I would attempt to make Cheez-It's from it. And WHY NOT attempt it on a day when I was already close to pulling my hair out?

TADA!



And guess what? They were easy. I wish I had doubled the batch as the boys declared that they "wanted cheese crackers every day." They taste very close to Cheez-It's (or what I remember of Cheez-It's...it's been a few years), but I think they are a little salty. Also, next time I think I will attempt to roll them out even thinner because the thinner ones were nice and crispy! Yum.

Okay, want to try? HERE is the recipe! I mixed it all up in my Vita-Mix and stuck it in the fridge for about 20 minutes (but next time I will chill it for longer because it was still a little sticky). Then, I rolled the dough out on wax paper (I didn't have parchment), cut it into squares with a pizza cutter and plunked the whole thing on a cookie sheet. Worked perfectly.

Possibly Preston and Bryton are currently cleaning their playroom with the anticipation of more cheese crackers. (Hey, it's not bribery...it's positive reinforcement!)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment