Friday, January 7, 2011

Granola Bars

excuse the poor quality phone picture - I'm lazy...

I'm taking a break from my kitchen decluttering today to catch up on other (slightly more enjoyable) things. Like making granola bars! I used this recipe but modified it to make it slightly more healthy. Here's what I did:

1 c. steel cut oats

1 c. rolled oats

1 c. whole wheat flour

1/2 c white chocolate chips (I had some leftover from holiday baking)

1/2 c. craisins

1/2 c. wheat germ

1/2 c. ground up walnuts (I don't really like walnuts, but I figured if they were ground up enough I wouldn't notice them...thank you Vita-Mix!)

1 tsp. cinnamon (actually used a little more than that)

1/2 tsp salt

1 egg

1/2 c. honey

1/2 c. rice bran oil

2 tsp vanilla

Press into 9x13 pan, bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Mine were brown around the edges at about 18 minutes so I took them out. Cut with pizza cutter after a minute or 2...then let sit in the pan until cool.

They are plenty sweet even though I completely left out the brown sugar. Next time I might try eliminating the egg and using flax seed mixed with water instead. Or, I might try an even healthier (no bake!) recipe that looks pretty interesting that I found here. My dad happened to leave us with an abundance of chia seeds! :)

1 comment:

  1. Yurm. I have been on the lookout for a granola bar recipe and I like your changes. Followed the funny conversation on Facebook to this recipe~ I'm in!

    ReplyDelete