Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Road Trips & Bagels

We love road trips around our house. In college, John and I (and sometimes our neighbors in married student housing) used to take off for weekend California road trips on a fairly regular basis. California is a little too far for us to go now, but we did take a long trip down to Utah (and then through Boise and over to central Oregon) recently, and obviously our recent trip to Seattle. Since having kids, I attempt to take as much food along with us as possible for health and budget reasons. Bagels are one of our favorite road trip foods, and the boys think they are a treat because we generally don't buy them unless we are planning to take them on a trip or camping. In fact, for some reason, the boys call bagels "donuts." I'm not sure they have actually had a real donut before, so that could be why they think bagels are donuts.

Anyway, since our Seattle trip was kinda spontaneous, I didn't want to go grocery shopping so I decided to try out a bagel recipe that I had bookmarked a while back. They were a little time consuming, but not difficult at all. I used the recipe from HERE, and the only change I made was to use whole wheat flour instead of bread flour. I just made plain old whole wheat bagels, and they were GOOD! I'm hoping to try it again with a few different combos...hoping to try blueberry, cinnamon raisin or craisin, and possibly tomato basil? We'll see. I'll probably try to make up a couple of batches to freeze at some point.


They even looked like bagels! (Well, most of them anyway...)

In other kitchen related experiments, I tried making rice milk tonight. It's currently chilling in the fridge, but I plan to use it for breakfast tomorrow. We'll see how it turns out! I'm also planning to try making oat milk, but we had rice for dinner tonight anyway so I just made some extra to make milk with.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. melissa. first of all, the next time I see the boys, I'm going to bring donuts. Secondly, you didn't want to spend time grocery shopping, so you MADE bagels?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm pretty sure it took less time to make the bagels than to load the boys up, go to the store, try to keep them from running off in the store, come home, unload them...
    If you bring donuts, I'll send you grocery shopping with them. :)

    ReplyDelete