Sunday, February 20, 2011

Trying to Stay Healthy

We skipped out on church this morning because we are finally ALL healthy, and truthfully, I'm not sure I could handle another week of sickness.  It seems like every time we go to church one of the boys picks something up and we spend the whole week passing it around, only to get something else the next Sunday.  John likes to remind me that eventually they will get all the bugs, and will stop getting sick, but he is generally not the one who has to spend all day dealing with the little sick boys so his opinion doesn't really count in this instance.  I can't even imagine how bad it's going to be next year when Preston starts kindergarten* (and B might possibly be starting preschool...).  It's bad enough in the nursery on Sundays, and the Kroc childcare a few times per week!

So the whole point of this post (other than to justify the fact that we didn't make it to church this morning!) is that I started garden-planning this morning.  Does anyone have any interesting suggestions of a new veggie I should try to grow?  I have at least a few square feet of growing space left, and possibly a planter or two.  Here is what I'm planning so far, most of which I have grown previously: tomatoes, eggplant, spinach, lettuce, carrots, radishes, corn, peppers, zucchini, beans, peas, pumpkin - for the boys to carve only, because John is allergic!, cantaloupe, and watermelon.  I'm also trying a couple of new things this year (peanuts, rhubarb, and maybe beets).  This is my first year trying out the "Square Foot Gardening" concept, which is basically high yields in a small space.  I'm planting 100 square feet, plus some containers (including 2 Earthboxes which are new this year!).  I would love some new/interesting vegetables to try out, or even a new variety of some vegetables I'm currently growing (all of the varieties that I'm growing are pretty run-of-the-mill).

*Note on schools, since I was debating what we should do in this post : we went and visited the school at our church and really liked it!  The kindergarten teacher seemed great, and this year they have a class of 8 kids (but they can take up to 12).  12 kids sounds MUCH MUCH MUCH better than 30.  Plus, it's right down the road, and they have school Monday-Thursday which works out perfectly since John generally works M-Th as well.  And, on top of that, the preschool class is right next to the kindergarten room and B could start next year.  Technically B should have another year before even starting preschool, but his birthday is only 2 days past the deadline for school.  He wants to go to school so bad, and we're considering letting him start preschool this year and then do 2 years of kindergarten.  Yes, completely unrelated to gardening, I know! 

2 comments:

  1. Your going to have quite the garden! hmmm...what about onions? I can't think of anything else but what about planting some herbs? Basil, rosemary, chives, cilantr.

    I can't believe Preston will be going into Kindergarten...seems just like yesterday you had him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have kept Ayda at home from church for the past 3 weeks! After a trip to the emergency room, the Dr suggested we keep her home let her recover and allow her little body to fully heal before exposing her to other germs! I hear you on the no nursery!!!
    Kindergarten and preschool!!! What are you going to do with your free time!!
    We, too, are doing squarefoot gardens! I need Jeff to get on building them...but we are in no hurry as snow is in the forcast for this week! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete